Useful Information

Update on Coronavirus contingency plans


We write following recent developments in the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic and the email from the Fell Runners Association (FRA) dated 17th March advising Race Organisers to cancel all events in the foreseeable future.

The Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon is due to take place on 5/6th July and we believe that date is outside the period that can be seen with certainty. We do not currently plan on cancelling the race although do acknowledge that it is highly likely it will not take place and have therefore refined our contingency plans.

We have held detailed discussions with landowners and suppliers who have shown tremendous support and understanding, even though some of them will suffer huge losses this season. There are some refinements to the position set out in our email of 7th March and these are set out below.


  1. The planned entry fee increase on 31st March will not occur as we wish to give prospective entrants as much time as possible to make a decision about entering. We will keep entry lists open and the fee at its current level.
  2. We will make a final decision as to whether the 2020 event will be staged by Friday 15th May at latest unless the UK government or the FRA, our governing body, give instructions or advice before this date.
  3. If we do have to cancel then the next event will be held on 3/4th July 2021 in the same area , the North West Lake District. In those circumstances entrants will be offered two choices and will have 14 days to make a decision between:-
  • Automatic roll over of entry to the next event on 3/4th July 2021, in which case you won’t need to do anything.
  • Refund of entry fees (less a 10% admin fee). Competitors will need to select this option after we have emailed again in mid-May.
  1. If the 2020 event does go ahead it is possible that some people may not now wish to compete. We will therefore keep open the option of the competitor cancelling their entry (less a £25 admin fee) which was due to expire on 31st March.


Thanks for your support and understanding in these difficult times.

We will provide further updates before 15th May.



All enquiries regarding this email should be directed to

Scroll to top